Brisbane City Council
Brisbane City Council is dedicated to fostering an innovative and creative community and to providing opportunities for everyone to participate in the cultural life of our diverse and vibrant, creative city.
Brisbane is fast becoming the place for talent to thrive. We connect with each other and to the world through our culture, our lifestyle and the opportunities delivered by our creative economy.
Brisbane City Council’s Creative Brisbane: Creative Economy 2013-22 Strategy is tasked to ensure Brisbane will be the premier location for talent to live and to thrive, to raise families, develop their careers and their economic potential. The strategy recognises that affordable spaces in which to converge and share and access to supportive infrastructure are essential ingredients for a successful creative sector. It has identified that it needs to assist broker creative space opportunities though the following targets of the strategy to inspire and accommodate the creative community.
- Target 3: Vibrant and accessible city spaces.
- Target 9: Responsive infrastructure.
Brisbane is home to many communities of artists and creative practitioners working in a variety of art forms and creative industries. They make an integral contribution to a thriving cultural city. Unfortunately finding space to rehearse, work, exhibit or perform in our city is not always easy.
Creative Spaces is a free online resource connecting creative practitioners with spaces. Creative Spaces promotes space on behalf of owners, venue managers, real estate agents and local government to creative people across Australia looking for space in which to develop or show their work. It is expected that the creative spaces website will become a catalyst for finding space for creativity in Brisbane.
Council initiatives to broker spaces for creative opportunities in Brisbane include:
- Vibrant Laneways through the identification and rejuvenation of forgotten spaces reintroducing them to our community in a way that is imaginative, fun and engaging.
- City Centre Master Plan 2014 - City-making moves has identified key projects and initiatives that will transform our city centre. City moves initiatives include 24/7 event city and a creative economy. Our city centre will become an economic incubator, a meeting place of creative industries and a hub for the knowledge economy.
- Arts and cultural organisations - Council invests in include Brisbane Eisteddfod, Brisbane Philharmonic Orchestra, Queensland Choir, 4MBS, Metro Arts, Queensland Ballet, Queensland Youth Orchestra, Brisbane Symphony Orchestra, Opera Queensland, Matilda Awards and Queensland Symphony Orchestra.
- Other plans and projects that include a creative outcome:
The Creative Spaces website is a valuable online resource that compliments these successful Council initiatives to support and facilitate Brisbane’s creative success. It removes barriers and increases opportunities for growth by enabling private property owners and the creative community to come together and activate city spaces.