Show Business All-Rounder working in Meat Market
Jane Clifton is the genuine show-business all-rounder. Actress, singer writer and registered marriage celebrant, Jane is often asked if there is anything she can't do, to which she simply replies 'Ballet and making money.'
A B.A.(1972) graduate from Monash University's halcyon days of sex and demos and rock 'n roll, Jane was momentarily distracted from a promising career as an English teacher (she promised her parents she'd become one) by Melbourne's burgeoning, alternative theatre and music scene.
The dim lights of Carlton's La Mama, the Pram Factory, the Flying Trapeze, T.F.Much Ballroom and the Last Laugh Theatre Restaurant beckoned. While the allure of singing in bands with names like Scumbag, Toads and Lipp and the Double Dekker Brothers proved irresistible - Form 6 at Shepparton High would have to wait…
Despite these arty beginnings, Jane has managed to carve out a 4 decade-long, show-business career. Including:
- a string of minor roles in numerous early Australian TV shows from Division 4, Homicide, Ryan, Bluey and even Holiday Island,
- fronting the ground-breaking feminists-on-Countdown band STILETTO,
- being part of the smash-hit stage shows MUM'S THE WORD and
- MENOPAUSE – THE MUSICAL
- her top 10 pop singles GIRL ON THE WALL (solo) and TAXI MARY (with Jo Jo Zep).
- 3 published crime novels - Half Past Dead (Text 2002), A Hand in the Bush (Text 2005) Flush (Clandestine Press 2013) – and a memoir - The Address Book ( Penguin 2011).
- Jane's solo CD The Marriage of Style (April 2003).
Notwithstanding all of the above, Jane will always be best remembered for a role she played 35 years ago: MARGO in Prisoner/Cell-Block H
Currently: Jane sings with her jazz trio on Mondays at Claypots, St Kilda, and is writing her 5th novel. Weddings and funerals keep her busy the rest of the time and pay all the bills!