Built in 1880, the Meat Market is a grade one heritage-listed building with enormous character and history. The cobbled bluestone floor in the main hall and the barrel vault ceiling hark back to a time when it was operated as a commercial meat market. In more recent history it was purchased as a derelict building by the Hamer Government in 1977 and relaunched as the Meat Market Craft Centre in 1979. After closing in 2001 for redevelopment it reopened as the Meat Market in 2004 to operate as a multi-genre contemporary arts space.
Located in North Melbourne, the Meat Market offers a wide range of spaces suitable for a number of uses including performances, community events, conferences, filming and rehearsals.
The Meat Market has two pavilion spaces and a meeting room available for hire, as well as 30 office and studio spaces licensed through Creative Spaces. Over 50 creative practitioners ranging from writers, arts organisations, festivals, musicians to designers have established themselves and their practices within the solid walls of the heritage-listed building.
For current available spaces click here