Creative Spaces: Boyd Studio-1
The Boyd Studio-1 residency is offered through the City of Melbourne Annual Arts Grants Program. This residency supports individual artists, arts organisations, collaborations and partnerships working in any artform to advance their practice.
Boyd is the City of Melbourne’s first integrated community service space, housing the Southbank Library, cafe, family services, meeting rooms and artist studios. For further information about Boyd Studio-1 visit Creative Spaces.
• Number of residencies available: Two per year
• Duration: 6 months per residency. Artists are required to be in residence for a minimum of 3 days per week during normal business hours.
• Artist fee payment per residency: $10,000 (plus studio space at no cost, valued at $4,000 per residency)
• Dates: 15 January to 24 June 2018 and 2 July to 15 December 2018
Applications open: 1 May 2017
Applications close: 5pm, 29 May 2017
Notification: September 2017
• Location: Studio-1, Boyd, 207 City Road, Southbank.
• Studio specifications: 57m2 with large windows, good natural light, wooden floors, high ceilings, sink and wireless internet connection. Due to the heritage nature of the building the studio is not suitable for suspension.
• Studio limitations: the studio is not suited to arts practice which requires the use of heavy machinery, extractor fans, open flames or generates loud noise.
• Access: Artists will have access to Studio-1 and the Boyd building facilities
Applicants are strongly advised to view the residency space on Thursday 4 May at 1pm or Wednesday 10 May at 1pm. RSVP through Eventbrite.
Applicants are required to address the following:
• How the residency will benefit your practice.
• What you propose to do during the residency including how you will engage with the public (refer to residency outcomes below).
Successful applicants are required to deliver a public outcome such as an artist talk or open studio. Public outcomes can be delivered at any stage during the residency.
Terms and conditions
Applicants must meet the 2018 Annual Arts Grants Program terms and conditions in addition to the following:
• Maintain public visibility into the studio at all times - a visible presence of the artist at work in the studio must be evident at all times, even when the artist is away from the studio.
• Provide their own public liability insurance ($20 million cover).
• Include City of Melbourne branding with any work developed during the residency.
• Be available and/or provide material for publicity purposes to promote the residency if required.
Applicants must meet the program general eligibility in addition to the following:
• 2017 arts residency grant recipients are ineligible to apply for 2018.
The space is offered free of charge to the successful applicants. Successful artists will receive a stipend of $10,000 per residency.
You must submit an application.