Situated in the Queens Domain, between Lower Domain Road and Carriage Drive is the site of the Beaumaris Zoo. Opened in 1923 on Regatta weekend, the Zoo remained active for 14 years until its closure due to the Depression in 1937.
The Beaumaris Zoo once housed a wide variety of animals including lions, tigers, snow leopards, elephants, monkeys and incredibly, polar bears. It is most notably remembered as the home of the last Thylacine in captivity.
Today, the Beaumaris Zoo is a place of nostalgia with only the polar bear enclosure, leopard enclosure, duck pond and ticket booth remaining. The grassy, tree-lined property has a variety of European trees throughout the natural amphitheatre. Its large footprint makes it well suited to concerts, festivals, photography, community events, writing and visual art workshops.
Booking enquiries: Call 03 6238 2886.
Fees and charges: view City of Hobart's fees and charges. These are reviewed and approved by Council each financial year.
License to serve alcohol may be required.
Metered street parking nearby