Theatre Works is a creative centre and venue in the heart of St. Kilda. It reaches out to the wider community; it supports innovative arts practitioners through collaborations, partnerships and the imaginative use of its space and resources. Theatre Works always aims to entertain, challenge and surprise its audiences.
Theatre Works has been the venue for innovative, risk taking and cutting edge theatre for over 30 years. It is a leading independent theatre sector organisation, with a proud history as a producer of original and innovative Australian theatre as well as an accessible and supportive venue for hire.
Theatre Works values our role in assisting the succeeding 'next generation' of emerging artists. Theatre Works also assists more established production companies in the form of Venue Hire. We provide professional, supportive, good value and friendly service to Australia’s Independent Arts sector.
Housed in the Christ Church Hall on the corner of Acland St and St Leonard's Avenue since 1985, TheatreWorks is a large, versatile black box style venue with high ceilings and a flexible seating bank able to seat up to 144 patrons.
Theatre Works boasts an inviting foyer that doubles as a gallery, and full dressing-room facilities.
- Licenced Front of House cafe/bar
- Full SABO in-house Booking services
- JLG 20MVL Elevated Work Platform.
- Black pleated wool curtains and track
- Dressing room with kitchenette and bathroom/shower
- Marketing assistance – listings on TheatreWorks website, optional inclusion in Season brochure as well as regular online listings managed by TheatreWorks staff.
- Double door Loading access from St Leonard’s avenue or TheatreWorks yard.
- 146 retractable Acromat seating bank
Approx 12m [w] x 11m [d] when seating fully extended. [Depth can be increased to approx 17m [d] with seating retracted]
Theatre Works has a tiered Hire Rate system dependent on funding and length of hire.
Companies must provide a copy of their certificate of Public liability currency. Companies must provide a minimum of two ushers per night.
Street Parking & Local Paid Parking (Prince of Wales Hotel Car Park)