Friends at Work Studio is a shared creative/work studio for professional illustrators that I’m running as part of my Creative Industries Residency at the Powerhouse Museum. I have 3 desk spaces available at a weekly rate of $35+gst. The space is available from March 2020 until June 2021.
The idea behind the studio is to create a social and collaborative space for illustrators giving them the opportunity to learn from each other while developing their own careers and practice. Despite the studio name, there’s no obligation to be my (or anyone’s) friend, but I am looking for people who are keen to be a part of a good-humoured, supportive work environment.
As part of the residency, Friends at Work have the opportunity to collaborate with the Museum team. This is an opportunity to work with the Powerhouse on activities like open studio events, exhibitions and other cool stuff around the themes of science, design and innovation.
This space wouldn’t be ideal for anyone who uses chemical solvents or any hazardous materials in their work.
- Located at the Powerhouse Museum in Ultimo
- 24 hour access
- Building shared with other lovely residents
- 24sqm room with large windows and natural light (but also some road noise)
- 1.5m x 0.75m desks made from recycled timber
- Storage space potentially available, but if not you can bring your own
- Shared common room and kitchen area
- Large sink for washing up art materials
- Utilities, including air-con and wifi, are provided by the Museum
- 10% discount at the MAAS Store and Museum cafes.
Additional costs include the deposit of $140 and $62 for a studio pass and key (refundable on return).
Unfortunately, this building has stairs and is not completely accessible, but if you have some accessibility requirements, please get in touch letting me know what you need and I can discuss it with museum staff.
GET IN TOUCH
If you’re interested, please send a little paragraph about you, your work and why you’d like to be a part of this studio, along with a link to your portfolio to friendsatworkstudio[at]gmail.com.
Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.
Looking forward to hearing from you!
The minimum rental period is 3 months with 1 month notice.
It is a requirement of the museum that you have a Public Liability insurance policy. (This should cost about 300/person/year.)